Sunday, February 3, 2013

Miscellaneous “Sun & Shadow” Items – January 2013


The following are miscellaneous sun, shade, solar and solar energy facts and comments.  They were derived from our twitter feed (http://twitter.com/SunPosition or @SunPosition).

@SunPosition  I just noticed the suns gone down 5pm usually 5:30pm around here. Can going into the new year make that much of a difference?

@dsn2012 There is no "jump" in sunset time b/c of the new year. Sunset time in Toronto is currently around 4:50 pm.

@AdamStilesCITY I just noticed the sun set 1/2 later today. 5pm instead of 5:30pm. Least out of view.

@dsn2012 @AdamStilesCITY Rest assured the sun is not suddenly setting 1/2 hour earlier than yesterday.

@SunPosition Hmm ok I guess back in nov and dec it was 5:30pm

@dsn2012 The sun didn't set in Toronto at 5:30 in either Nov or Dec. It jumped from 6:05 to 5:05 at the time change on Nov 3.

@SunPosition but I clearly recall the sun did set around 5:30pm back somewhere in the last 3 months because I was planning to take night photos. And was watching when the sun was setting so I could plan my trip carefully by night fall.

@dsn2012 Where were you when the sun set at 5:30?

@dsn2012 OK this should clarify things - sunset occurs when top edge of sun touches horizon. Darkness occurs an hour or more later.

@dsn2012 What date were those photos taken? Mid-Dec? At Ontario Place?

@dsn2012 Where were the photos taken? I ask because it seems odd to me to have sunset at 5pm on Oct 12.

@dsn2012 In that case I would suspect the time stamp on your camera was wrong. Sunset in Toronto on Oct 12th was at 6:38 pm EDT.

Cheers, Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment